Most people don’t have optimal levels of this critical nutrient. You might not be getting enough zinc, especially if you:
- Are highly stressed. Stress and anxiety itself lowers zinc levels because the body rapidly uses up zinc in times of stress.
- Are male. Men require more zinc, so do teenagers.
- Eat a vegan or vegetarian diet.
- Infrequently eat red meat and seafood.
- Are very active (due to losses in sweat).
- Have digestive issues.
- Take (or have recently taken) an oral contraceptive pill.
- Regularly consume alcohol.
The benefits of optimal levels of zinc include:
- A robust immune system that allows you to fight off signs of colds or infections.
- Hair health.
- Strong, healthy nails.
- Clear skin—supports skin structure and regeneration.
- Optimal sex hormone health.
- Support for reproductive system function/ fertility.
- Maintenance of proper digestive function.
- Exceptional eye health.
- Support for your overall wellbeing.